Table of Contents
Are you attracted to doing a tattoo for a change? If the answer is yes then this article will be very patronizing to you. Suppose, you have done your first tattoo on your body, but you do not know the procedure to take care of that art. Your body art can be destroyed without sincere care. The body art should be carefully handled.
We will know that the premier 48 hours are the most stringent moment in the process of salving body art. Today, we try to discuss tattoo care for the first 48 hours.
You have to keep your tattoo bandaged:
After accomplishing the desired tattoo on your body, the main task towards the body art has been started. When the tattoo is done, the artist will spot a bandage on the side of the body where the tattoo has been done. The bandage will conserve the tattoo from excrement and some other harmful objects. The bandage will help the body art from abrasion and keep your clothes clean. The first 48 hours will be the most sensitive time for your tattoo. This whole time your body art needs to be cared for sensitively. You have to repose your bandage on your tattoo at least for two hours minimum. Those who do the tattoo will always suggest keeping the bandage on nightly so that the tattoo will be protected. Also, it helps not to stick to the clothes which make you feel pain from that part.
If you divide your first 48 hours into two-part, then you need to be careful mostly on the first part. During the first 12 hours, you need to be careful whether there is any seeping out of your skin from some of the ink from the tattoo. Some people have questions on their minds that if they can shower during the first 48 hours of putting tattoo. You can shower and also wash the tattoo. After the shower, you can tape a piece of plastic wrap all over the tattoo. It will help you to protect your tattoo for the first 48 hours. But, while you put a tattoo on your chest, it will be difficult to put a bandage over the tattoo. For that part, plastic wrap will be very helpful to protect from daubs and seeping out. You can re-tape your plastic wrap whenever you want.
You have to keep your tattoo clean:
When you need to take off the bandage, you must clean your tattoo. While you need to clean, you have to be careful, as there will be a little amount of blood will be seen. You can wash your tattoo with soap and water.
Be cautious about changing the wrap:
You have to be cautious about changing the plastic wrap. You have to change the plastic wrap once or twice throughout the day. Though this is your decision to change, you have to do it at least twice a day.
Some tricks to heal your tattoo:
After doing a tattoo you need to wash it anyway. But, you will notice one thing, while you are washing up your tattoo, the tattoo will burn like a sunburn. So, here are the tactics for your burning sensitivity. You need to use warm water. You need to keep doing it. After pouring warm water, you need to increase the temperature of the water. You need to pour the water until the tattoo gets used to the water with the increased temperature. You just need to take a hot shower. It will help the skin to open the pores and help to clean all the dirt and spillover ink. It will help your skin from irritation.
After washing for the first time you do not have to moisturize that side of your body. You just need to keep it in a cool place to dry. After that, you need to wrap up with plastic wrap. But here, there is a talk of the night, if the irritation happened all over the place then you just keep the tattoo area free. You do not have to keep it rubbing with anything.
Firstly, we have said that you do not need to use moisturizer after the first wash. But you need to moisturize the tattooed area after 24 hours later. You just need to moisture after the tattooed area has dried. Before moisturizing, you must clean the area with soap and warm water. After that, you need to apply some products called –
- Perfume-free, aloe vera-free, and any chemical additives-free skin moisturizer.
- You need to apply some topical vitamins such as vitamin E and vitamin D.
- Some tattoo shops suggest you apply tattoo goo or tattoo treatments for your sensitive area.
- You need to apply Bacitracin. You can apply Neosporin but there are so many chemicals in it so, tattoo artists suggest not to use it.
- Those tattoo goo or tattoo treatments will cost so much that you can just use Bacitracin.
- You can apply Bepanthen. It is so good to apply.
- You can apply A&D ointment.
To keep your tattood area clean and from drying out, you need to moisturize. If your tattooed area became dry, it will be difficult to heal. You moisturize your tattooed area as you are moisturizing your hands. There should be no excess. You need to apply ointment properly. You need to rub the moisturizer as there will be no excess. Excessive use of ointment will not help you to heal. It will destroy your skin and tattoo as well. Excessive use of ointment will draw out the ink and the result is the tattoo will not heal. Sometimes excessive usage of ointment causes you to touch up. It will cause ruining your tattoo.
You can use moisturizer as the various products, three or four times per day. You need to continue applying moisturizer for four or five days. Whenever you feel your tattoo drying out, just you have to use moisturizer. That is the tactic to heal.
Some things you should not do:
There are some things you should not do, such as –
- Your tattoo will peel as your skin is sunburned or your skin will not peel utterly. So, do not pick the scabs off, as there will be scabs. Picking scabs will cause you to destroy your skin.
- You should not go to the water pool during the new tattoo care for first 48 hours. Being liquidated for too long or excessive usage of ointment can cause your tattoo too soft. Also, swimming pool water contains chlorinated water which will react badly on your tattooed area.
- You can not go to the beach after doing the tattoo for first 48 hours.
- While you are putting on tattoo for the first 48 hours you need to cover the area as soon as possible with whatever you have.
- You need to use a sunblock to go out with the new tattoo. Otherwise, it will cause skin irritation. Tattooists suggest not going out as the sun’s rays will destroy the skin.
- You have to apply SPF-45 sunblock to protect your tattooed skin area.
- It will be better to get a new tattoo in fall or winter season.
- Sometimes the healing time becomes the toughest time. The tattooed area will itch so badly but you can not scratch on it or touch the area. While it becomes itchy you need to slap the tattoo. It works like a magic. Also, you need to moisturize the itchy area properly.
- Do not work out during the healing days, mostly the first 48 hours. Working out will not help your tattoo to heal properly.
How to take care of a new tattoo after 48 hours?
In this whole article, you get to know how to take care of a new tattoo for the first 48 hours. After two days and for two weeks after the first 48 hours, you need to maintain two things properly to take care of your tattoo.
You need to keep clean the tattooed area and moisturize the body part.
Some frequently asked questions (FAQs):
- What cream is good for tattoos?
—- There are so many creams out there to use. But some creams are mostly for tattooed areas. Such as –
- After Inked Moisturizer and Tattoo Aftercare Lotion
- Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion
- Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion
- Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Extra Dry Skin Lotion
- Cetaphil Fragrance-Free Moisturizing Lotion
- Can I use Vaseline on my tattoo?
—- The answer is no. You can not use vaseline as a hydrating product on the tattooed area. It will destroy your tattoo and skin as well.
- What pulls ink out of a fresh tattoo?
—- You will need lemon juice and salt. Firstly, you have to mix lemon juice with 6 tablespoons of salt. Then you have to make it into a paste. Apply the mixture by soaking a cotton pad on it and rubbing it on the tattooed area.
James Dalton specializes in developing research-based content on the fashion & lifestyle industry. And has good experience in tattooing. Tattooing is my hobby and worked for some years as a tattoo artist.